Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Breaking Silos

Welcome,

I’d like to bust a few silos…care to join me?

My name is Kevin Currier and I work for HARD Manufacturing in Buffalo, NY.
We make medical beds and cribs for children with special needs.

For almost 13 years I’ve worked with parents, case managers, physical therapists, occupational therapists, respiratory therapists, durable medical equipment dealers, RN’s, LPN’s etc. to help them get the correct pediatric bed for their child.

Sometimes it’s pretty easy but it can often take multiple letters, phone calls and fair hearings to get the beds approved and paid for by insurance or Medicaid.

I’ve noticed that many people in different parts of the country have similar problems raising their child with special needs: battles with insurance companies to pay for nursing or equipment, battles with schools to follow the Individual Education Plan, case managers that don’t return phone calls, doctor’s offices that take 2 months to write a prescription and the list goes on and on.

I also see that the solutions someone found in one part of the country can help someone else in another part of the country.

If people are isolated and stuck in individual “silos” the good answers and best practices they have found can’t be shared easily with other people.

Let’s break a few silos, share the information freely and openly and help everyone advance.

This space is open to any and all topics that caregivers and families encounter. It is not restricted.

I’m calling this Kevin’s Kids because I often know a lot about the kids that get our beds. Each one of them is unique and it’s great to see it through to the final step of having a bed delivered and set up in the house. I know they’re not really my kids, but I think you get the point.

Just a final note for my first posting….the city of Buffalo gets a lot of publicity because of our snow. Consider this, Buffalo gets about 90” of snow a year which is more than Anchorage AK but less than Flagstaff AZ.

Cheers,
Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment